Advantages of Aeroponic systems
● Provides an oxygen rich environment for roots.
● Avoids the supply, disposal and cost problems associated with medium based systems.
● It is easy to disinfect roots and hardware.
● The absence of medium makes it easy to inspect roots for signs of disease and feed adequacy.
● Root zone EC and pH will equal that of the nutrient solution.
Disadvantages of Aeroponic systems
● Pump failure can result in plant death within a few hours, especially in hot weather.
● Spray jets are prone to blockages therefore filters and routine maintenance of the feed circuit are necessary.
● Evaporation losses are high and unless the nutrient is replaced frequently, salt build-up can be rapid.